Hackpads are smart collaborative documents.
Join Hackpad Now
+ new workspace
1043 days ago
PAME and Scenarios
1043 days ago
Participatory Assessment Monitoring and Evaluation
A Participatory Evaluation is an opportunity for the stakeholders of a project to stop and reflect on the past in order to make decisions about the future.
The evaluation process distributes control and responsibility for;
-deciding what to evaluate
-Selecting method and data sources
-carrying out the actual evaluation
-analyzing the information
-presenting the results
When to use it:
- As part of a broader participatory process:
- When it is planned
o Use determined checkpoints to examine past performance, for example after each phase of the project.
- In anticipation of a crisis:
o Can help avoid crisis to mediate a solution
- When problems arise
o To determine why is there a problem and what will help solve it.
- To establish a participatory approach:
o Learning what ‘s not working and acts as an entry point for more participatory approach in general
Overview: The Who, What, Where, When and How of evaluation:
- Review objectives
- Review reasons for evaluation
- Develop evaluation questions
- Who with do the evaluating
- Identify direct and indirect indicators
- Identify sources
- Identify skills and labor
- When info gathering can be done
- Who will gather the info
Realization: Before you start...
- Establish a directorà supervises everything
- Moderators for group data
- Researchers for data analyses
- Admin staffà orchestrate logistics for example meeting locations travel, accommodations
Planning the Evaluation:
(1)Review objectives and activities:
What are long term objectives?
What activities are chosen to meet the objectives
* Scenarios can be a good method to help with this task
(2) Review reasons for the evaluation
Why is the evaluation being conducted in the first place?
What do we want to know?
(3) Develop evaluation questions
Brain storm questions and if necessary rank them in order of which ones would support the objective the most.
(4) Decide who will do the evaluation
The emphasis is on being inclusive and making sure no minority groups are being discounted.
Make sure to establish who needs the results, by when.
(5) Identify indicators
Some important questions to be answered are:
1) What do we want to know?
2) What are the pieces of information that could tell us this?
3) What are the best pieces of information (‘key indicators’) that will tell us this most accurately?
4) Is the information accessible?
expressly relate to what is being measured.
used when ansers are difficult to measure
What are indicators used in school? How would you rate these inidcators?
(6) Identify information sources
For each question identify the source and the information collecting tools
(7) Determine skills and labor that are required to obtain information
ex: math, interviewing, drama, financial needs, labor needs
(8) Determine info gathering and analysis schedule
Seasonal constraints, holidays that might affect scheduling
(9) Determine who will gather the info.
Data collection and analysis:
-Form central database when collecting information
-Keep in mind that several people with be accessing data, its important to keep it manageable to facilitate analysis process.
-Its also extremely important to document every step of the process to support credibility of the research.
Triangulation (collecting data from at least 3 sources ) is a recommended approach to support well rounded and well represented data.
Analyses = examining information
(1) Review the objective
Renew understanding of central issue
Take note of unanticipated dataà can direct you to unforeseen, relevant questions
(2) Organize data
Group and categorize relevant info
(3) Decided how to analyze information
take note of similarities
contrast and establish relationships between pieces of information
(4) Quantitative (numbers) and Qualitative (descriptive)
The way info was gathered will determine how it can be analyzed
ex: beginning- middle – end
Show full change
Show only preview
Please select a topic
General usage / How does this work?
Login / account issue
Broken / can't load hackpad
Mobile / iOS issue
Send your love! ♥
Please check out our
first to see if your question is already answered! :)
If you have a feature request, please add it to
Sign in with
Sign in with
Start using Hackpad